"The Riches are in the Niches."
- Adam Weiss
You've heard it before, you know you're supposed to choose a niche with your product, but what does that actually mean?
So many new entrepreneurs and business owners think very highly of their product/service and therefore don't want to risk losing a sale by talking to a specific subset of a larger demographic.
They think that the more people they talk to, the higher chances they have of someone buying their product / service.
Here's the problem though. When you try talking to everyone, nobody ends up hearing you.
Think of it this way. If we're in the middle of a happy hour at a busy conference, and I start talking as loudly as I can about how awesome my new shoe company is and how great our shoes are, there's going to be so much chatter going on that no one is going to actually hear or care what I'm talking about.
Everyone there is wearing shoes, so everyone needs to hear the message, right?
WHO are your shoes for? Go find those people in the audience and have a 1 to 1 conversation with them about your new shoes.
Now you've got a fighting chance.
Choosing a niche is important for two main reasons:
1. It allows you to speak to a specific audience with a specific pain point, which helps you be heard.
2. It allows you to gain traction in a specific market, which increases sales velocity.
But here's the kicker.
A lot of business owners will rightfully object,
"But my product/service really can help all sorts of different demographics. Which niche do I choose?"
How to choose which niche to target first:
A. Choose a demographic with a substantial potential user-base.
-Meaning there's enough people in that market to make it worth your while.
B. Choose a demographic that will be the most intense about your product / service
-Meaning the type of people who would use your product the most.
C. Choose a demographic with influence
-Meaning people look up to them and might go out of their way to ask them about something they see.
Beard Care Business
A. Does the potential market support the idea?
Many men are growing beards right now, seems like a decent market.
B. Which subset of beard-growers would use your product most?
Targeting men who want to grow long, thick, luxurious beards. Bigger beards need more care. People who grow bigger beards are more serious about how they take care of them.
C. Which demographic would have influence over the rest of the market?
Men with bigger beards would be approached regularly by men starting their beard growing journey about how they got their beard to be so big. If your product really is great, these guys will be talking about your product all the time and thus help you be more viral.
A. Does the potential market support the idea?
Everybody wears sunglasses these days. Only problem is there's a decent amount of competition.
B. Which subset demographic needs and wears their sunglasses the most?
People on the beach, people at a ski resort, people who spend a lot of time outside or driving.
C. Which of these demographics would have the most influence over the rest of the market?
Professional surfers and snowboarders would have disproportionate influence over the rest of the population of average beach-goers and ski families. Targeting professional athletes with something they actually like would put your brand name in their mouth often.
Tim Ferriss has referred to this idea of influence as the "Lead Domino".
His framing of the question would essentially ask, "Which of these potential demographics would, if targeted successfully, make marketing to the rest of the market easy or irrelevant?"
If you can find an answer to that question, you've got your target niche!
What business are you in and who's your target market?
Are you targeting the lead domino with the most influence or are you wasting marketing dollars going after a group with no influence in the market?
Unsure of which subset might be the lead domino? Reach out and I'd love to help you figure it out!
Here's to you Actualizing Your Potential!
Founder and CEO @ STRIVENT
"Actualize your Potential!"
1. Free Course for Entrepreneurs and Freelancers: Designed to empower entrepreneurs and freelancers with actionable strategies that will help them dominate their niche, increase lead generation, and become a master of sales.
2. Gaining Clarity: Designed to have you critically think about the life you want to create and identify the gaps between how you want to live and how you actually live.
3. Discovery Call: 30 minute phone call designed to give you the insights, support, and strategy you need to break through and be successful!
If you're looking to understand the latest science around health and wellbeing and looking for practical ways to integrate those findings into your life, pick up a copy of the book!
1. IMPRESSION: A Comprehensive Guide to Optimal Wellbeing
The book, IMPRESSION, is both an inspiring call to action and an educational tool that will equip the reader with the knowledge they need to live a healthy and fulfilling life. For at least half a century we've been told that health consisted solely of diet and exercise, when in reality it's much more than that.
IMPRESSION explores the ten interrelated elements of our wellbeing and how they each play a pivotal role in determining our lifestyle. From the food you eat and how often you are fulfilled by your work, to the type of people you surround yourself with and your sex life, each of these choices influences your level of overall wellbeing.
IMPRESSION is an acronym for the ten interrelated elements of our wellbeing:
IMPRESSION is an investigative look at how certain types of lifestyles lead to happy, healthy, and engaging lives, while other lifestyles lead to a host of problematic thoughts, feelings, and emotions about the past, present, and future.
1. Mastermind: STRIVENT Masterminds bring together small groups of the most ambitious and inspiring Entrepreneurs, Freelancers, business owners and other Leaders to hold each other powerfully accountable to their big goals while sharing insights and lessons from successes and failures along the way.
Next available spots for the Mastermind start in November, 2019. Apply Here!
2. Annual Summit: This year's Annual Summit will be hosted in beautiful Winter Park, Colorado for 4 days of transformative breakthroughs and community celebration in the Rocky Mountains. It will be an unforgettable experience of business and personal workshops, hot seat sessions, speakers, surprise challenges, skiing, hot tubbing, and most importantly coming together with your tribe! You don't want to miss this! MEMBERS ONLY.